Monday, June 18, 2007

Umbilical Cord Hat



Pattern: Umbilical Cord Hat from Debbie Stoller's Stitch n' Bitch, adjusted for adult head
Yarn: Patons Decor 75% acrylic and 25% wool
Needles: Clover Bamboo US size 7 circular and DPNs

As I noted in the previous post, despite the lovely colors, I would not recommend this yarn, as it bled onto my hands and needles. I'm also a terrible yarn snob who prefers natural fibers, so I wouldn't recommend it for the acrylic content either, but my sweetie picked out the yarn, and the hat is for her.

Knitting the crown gave me a bit of trouble. I had cast on 100 stitches, and right before I started the crown, reduced it down to 96 so I could divide by 8. I was trying to decrease every other row (as all the patterns for adult hats I could find instructed), but the hat was just too tall and too pointy for my sweetie's head. The third time, when I just decreased every row, was the charm.



I was a little nervous about what would happen with the pooling after I started the decreases, but it's a small enough section that it looks fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Laura!
Last night around 7pm I was trying to pull a MacGyver to make an adult sized umbilical cord hat with my own adjustments from Stitch n Bitch. I did not continue after the first K row. I googled, found your info and am very grateful.

Hugs from a fellow Pacific Northwestern girl, unfortunately, far from home.

Cheers

Unknown said...

Hi - Just found your blog while trying to find some images of Patons Decor yarn. Wow, such beautiful work by you and the other posters. Right now, I am only able to loom knit but I think I can do the umbilical hat on a loom. Someday, I really hope I can learn to knit and crochet using needles. I've tried several times but I just can't seem to figure out how to best hold the yarn so I can keep the tension. Also, I'm left handed so that doesn't help.